11 March 2008

Serious Discussion

This morning Ocean (my 5 year old biological son) came into our bedroom at the first sound of Denekew awake, like every morning since we've come home with him. While playing, Denekew had a serious look on his face and Ocean claimed he was thinking about why we (Ocean & Denekew) have different skin colors. I ask him if he knew why. He answered: "Cause we're from different countries." So I thought I'd ask him some other questions about skin color and here is how our discussion went.
Mom: Is one skin color better than the other?
Ocean looks totally confused and finally slowly answers "Yes?" watching me to see if it's the right answer.
Mom: No, no skin color is better than another. They are just different.
Ocean quick and confident: Oh, Yeah! (He knew this all along.)

Mom: Is one skin color prettier than the other?
Ocean: Yeah! Denekew's skin is so pretty cause it's darker.
I just laugh - cause this is not the answer experts say kids answer!

Mom: Some people don't like people just because they have dark skin.
Ocean interrupting and lunging to hug to Denekew: And some people do like them!

End of discussion. We all toppled over on the bed!

1 comment:

Tricia and Anthony said...

I just ran across your blog and love the discussion you and Ocean had.