22 January 2008

Nursing our son

This is a personal choice, but I wanted to share that I am planning on nursing Denekew. The few people I have told were shocked that this is even possible. I thought maybe if I shared a little about it now from my blog, I could head off some surprised looks and questions later!

Yes, adoptive breastfeeding is possible! There is actually an amazing amount of information out there (internet as well as published books). I have inserted some links at the bottom that I have found helpful. I am planning on using the Lact-Aid supplemental nursing system, where the baby nurses and can get breastmilk (if you have it) and/or gets milk from a supplemental bag. The device was actually invented by a couple that adopted in 1969 and wanted to breastfeed their child! Here is there story:
http://www.lact-aid.com/lastory.htm.
The system is designed to help your milk come in by inducing lactation. But even if it never comes in you can have the close bonding experience associated with nursing while your child gets their formula from the supplemental bag!

I am still trying to locate an adoptive mother actually doing this! So far I haven't heard back from anyone with the La Leche League. If you are or know of someone nursing an adopted child, I would love to hear from you!

http://www.lact-aid.com/
http://www.llli.org/NB/NBadoptive.html
http://breast-feeding.adoption.com/nursing/preparation-for-adoptive-nursing.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! How wonderful!

A Team said...

Jen.. I actually know someone. I will e-mail you :-)

Michael and Michelle said...

I have a friend trying it right now. She told me you should actually pump before you bring your child home and that helps get your milk in. She hasn't gotten milk in yet but she also won't take any pills that Dr.'s give you to help with that. She did use that "bag" thing you were talking about and her child lached on great! Even without milk bonding has been wonderful for them.
When are you bringing baby home? Would you like to talk to my friend?? Let me know.
Michelle (Adopting from Ethiopia, waiting on FDL)